Kale is the stereotypical healthy green, but it’s not always appetizing due to it’s rough texture when raw. This kale salad recipe will put a new spin on something you’ve likely been eating for a while.
Kale’s superfood properties include omega-3 fatty acids to curb inflammation, antioxidants vitamin C and beta-carotene to reduce oxidative stress within cells, and sulfur and glucosinolates to help flush toxins.
Sometimes for your favorite foods to love your body, you have to love them back! I make my kale more palatable by massaging avocado and olive oil into it to soften the leaves and add great flavor.
Chop your remaining ingredients and mix with kale.
Enjoy this salad on its own or add your favorite protein for a filling and nutritious meal.
Mediterranean Kale Salad
- 10-12 oz Kale (chopped)
- 1 Red Onion (chopped)
- 1 Small Persian Cucumber (chopped)
- 1 Large Avocado
- 1 cup Red Cabbage (chopped)
- 1 cup or 15oz can Chickpeas (sprouted, soaked overnight)
- 1/2 cup Kalamata Olives (chopped)
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- 1/3 cup Pine Nuts
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Feta Cheese (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, add the kale and red cabbage. Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice and sprinkle the salt.
- Cut the avocado in half. Squeeze half the avocado out and add to the kale. Massage the kale for about 2 minutes. It should start to turn a rich, greener color.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Serve and Enjoy!