“Refreshing” and “crunch” are the two satisfying words that come to mind when I’m preparing my Thai green papaya salad. As a filling vegan meal on its own, or as an appetizer, papaya salad can pair with any entrée, not just Thai or Asian fusion dishes. What I love most about this salad is that it incorporates great crunchy veggies such as cabbage, carrots, and bean sprouts with papaya, an underutilized and underappreciated nutrient source.
Green papaya is easy to find, as its just the unripened version of the sweet papaya you’ve likely included in your fruit salads. What’s better, green papaya is even more nutritious than when in its ripened state. Papaya’s strength has always been how it supports digestion, and green papaya offers even more of the potent active enzymes that support healthy metabolism by helping in the breakdown of fat, proteins, and carbohydrates. What’s more, green papaya provides higher concentrations of potassium, immunity-boosting carotenoids, and the powerful protease enzyme that firms and brightens your skin.
When you half your papaya, you’ll find plenty of seeds – but don’t through them away! If you’re feeling adventurous, scoop them out and consume them separately. Their taste is not so appetizing, but they’ve been treasured for ages for their medicinal properties including eliminating parasites, fighting bacterial and viral infections, and kidney and liver detoxification.
Shred your papaya and vegetable ingredients for a plate that’s as colorful as it is delicious!
No salad is complete without a great dressing that ties all the flavors together and this one will not disappoint – sure to keep you going back for more! Purée your ingredients for a unique dressing that’s equally tangy and citrusy.
Generously drizzle your dressing over the salad ingredients and top with cilantro before mixing.
Top with peanuts to taste. If you have a peanut allergy, substitute with another flavorful crunchy topping such as fried garlic chips, fried lentils, or pumpkin seeds.
Enjoy on it’s own or paired with your favorite dish, no matter the type of cuisine.
Thai Green Papaya Salad
- 1 Medium sized green papaya (can be found in Asian Stores)
- 1 cup Red Cabbage (chopped to your liking)
- 2 Carrots (small)
- 1 small Red onion (a quarter of the onion will be used for the sauce)
- 1/2 cup Cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Peanuts (crushed)
- 1/3 cup Lime juice
- 1 tbsp Fish sauce
- 1 tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 1 tbsp Coconut sugar
- 1 tsp Tamarind paste
- 4 Garlic gloves
- 2 Thai bird chilies
- Peel the papaya and slice it in half. Use a spoon to scoop out the white seeds in the center.
- Put the fish sauce, lime juice, chiles, garlic, coconut sugar, tamarind paste, coconut aminos, and a quarter of the red onion in a blender until mixture is pureed.
- Mix the papaya, carrots, cilantro, and cabbage together. Pour the dressing over the mixture and top it off with the peanuts. Enjoy!